Feature walls are a simple, yet high impact way of completely transforming the personality of a room in your home. It can bring an otherwise plain white room to life. All you have to do is add some complimentary imagination to the most focal wall in the room and you’re more or less done.Of course, there are recommended guidelines for doing this and as such, we’ve provided our own guide on the dos and don’ts below. We hope it helps for your future projects!
The dos of feature walls
- Do make sure that the feature wall compliments the furniture and the other walls in the room.
- Do make sure that the other walls are recently painted and haven’t faded over time. Make the room look the finished article – we can help with that!
- Do use paint as an inexpensive way of adding personality to your room. Other materials such as stone and wood can be expensive options and can be particularly expensive to change if the wall doesn’t look right when finished.
- Do ensure that the feature wall serves its purpose. Try not to overcrowd the room with other, more noticeable features.
The don’ts of feature walls
- Don’t just choose a random wall. Choose a wall that will act as the focal point for the room. For instance, the most commonly chosen wall in the bedroom is the wall behind the headboard.
- Don’t put a feature wall in a small room; it will only make the room look smaller. Instead, it might be better to have the entire room painted the same colour.
- Don’t assume that a feature wall must go in every room in the house. Pick the rooms that are maybe the most used or are maybe missing that final crucial touch.
- Don’t be afraid to think outside of the box. Let your imagination take centre stage or ask for some guidance. We have years of experience and have tackled countless jobs with people that have completely different tastes when it comes to internal paint jobs. We can guide you with regards to what looks best.
Who can do this?
A feature wall can either be done by yourself or by a professional painter. The benefits of getting a professional painter to do the work were outlined on a previous post. To give you a quick overview, you can save time and concentrate on other, more important things, you can be confident that the job will be done to a very high standard and you can ask for guidance, as outlined above.
If you’re interested in refurbishing your home with a new feature wall, give us a call on 07816 201130 or 01656 659 701 or you can drop us an email at email@example.com and we’ll be more than happy to offer our guidance and begin helping you change the personality of your home. We offer our services across Bridgend and the Vale of Glamorgan. We’ll look forward to hearing from you soon.